Self Assessments and how to obtain them

What are Self Assessments?

If you are self employed you will need HMRC self assessments (SA302 &  Tax Overview) from HMRC as acceptable proof of income with most mortgage lenders. This is a requirement of the Financial Conduct Authority but doesn’t need to cause any delays if you have these ready.

Some lenders would like to see three years audited accounts though most lenders will accept two years and potentially even one year with certain lenders if you have only been self employed for over 12 months. If you have an accountant Self Assessments from there own software are not usually acceptable with most lenders therefor here are some guidelines in obtaining your tax calculation & tav overview documents from HMRC to avoid any delays. Please use the information below.

Printing your Self Assessment documents

Follow these steps to print a tax calculation (also known as an ‘SA302’)

A copy of your tax calculation (SA302) and Tax Overview can be downloaded / printed from your HMRC online account or you can request these be sent to you by contacting HMRC.

If you download the documents online your SA302 & Tax Overview needs to show your name, UTR number, HMRC logo and as being 100% submitted.

Tax Calculation (SA302) – Follow the link ‘tax return options’.

  1. Choose the year from the drop down menu and select the ‘Go’ button.
  2. Select the ‘View return’ button.
  3. Follow the link ‘view calculation’.
  4. Follow the link ‘view and print your calculation’.
  5. Follow the link ‘print your full calculation’.

Tax Year Overview – Follow these steps to print a tax year overview

1. Follow the link ‘view account’
2. Follow the link ‘tax years’
3. Choose the year from the drop down menu and select the ‘Go’ button
4. Follow the link ‘print your Tax Year Overview’

Note: You must wait 72 hours after fully submitting your return until you can print your documents.

HMRC contact details for advice on Self Assessment.

Telephone: 0300 200 3310

If you have a National Insurance number and Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) have them with you when you phone.

Opening times:
8am to 8pm, Monday to Friday
8am to 4pm Saturday
Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s DayLink 1

You can find out more by visiting HMRC.